The performance is October 11, 2019 at 10am and 7pm. Open to the public.
Things to remember:
- What is Young Choreographers' Showcase? Glad you asked, cause it is awesome, fire?, lit? (whatever the newest term for cool is). You can find out all you need to know HERE. Or send Ms. Mansilla an email and I'm glad to answer any questions or just ask on the first day of school.
- The Audition is Friday, August 16th from 2:30-3:30p in Annex 2.
- Whether you are new to YPAS or returning, dancing for someone is an EXCELLENT way to get involved and get performance experience right off the bat. All dance majors (especially freshman) are strongly encouraged to come out.
- Our auditions are quick and fun not stressful or crazy competitive. This year Ms. Mansilla will teach the auditions with feedback and help from student choreographers. Expect to learn 1-2 short combinations and perform in small groups. If a choreographers decides to cast you, you will be contacted directly by them via email.
- Rehearsals are 1-2 hours after school on Tuesday/Thursdays or Wednesdays. Rehearsals do not conflict with pointe or partnering classes, so you can do both if you wish. You will only be cast within your stated availability. If you are cast you are committing to 8hrs of rehearsal plus the show. So a great way to get a performance with costumes and lighting without a huge or long-term commitment. See the various specific rehearsal schedules HERE.
- Yes, you may be BOTH a choreographer and a dancer for someone else. Yes, you can dance for up to 2 different choreographers if it fits your schedule.
For Choreographers: Sign ups for those wishing to choreograph a dance for the Young Choreographers Showcase open on Tuesday, August 13, 2019 at NOON.
Things to remember:
- There is a REQUIRED meeting for all choreographers on Friday, Sept 16th from 3:30-4:30p in Annex 2. We will go over rules/guidelines, discuss piece concepts and casting (for those interested).
- Sign ups are (mostly) first come, first serve and space is limited.
- NEW this year: Priority consideration may be given to choreographers who are able to give performance opportunities to dancers who attend the audition. Working with your besties is great, but opening yourself up to work with new dancers helps keep YCS thriving by giving opportunities to newcomers as well as helping strengthen you as a choreographer.
- Any dance major can sign up to be a choreographer. That means freshman too (though you should probably have some experience choreographing if this is your first year at YPAS.)
- Dances presented in YCS will automatically be in the running to be chosen for the New Works 2020 Show. They may also be entered into the PTSA Reflections contest and Festival adjudication if applicable.
- NEW this year: There is a new 2-week intensive rehearsal option. Rehearses Tuesdays, Wednesday and Thursdays for 2-weeks only. Equals the same amount of rehearsal hours but gets the job done in a shorter time. May be a good option for experienced choreographers, choreographers creating short solos/duets or those looking to extend a piece created in the Spring.
- Before signing up familiarize yourself with the various rehearsal schedule options HERE.